Thursday, September 11, 2014

What Was I Talking About?



Okay, so this weekend I was set for a well-needed rest but I really didn't get the well-needed rest because Friday night I stayed up till seven in the morning with some other students drinking the wine that was reserved for Gay Talese, cause he's speaking here tonight, I don't know why but I preferred to think that I was drinking Nan Talese's wine cause she's here too (thanks, Nan), and then I went out Saturday night with three high school buddies that I had not seen since high school and one of them gave me four cd's from his band Lungfish and we hung out and I did something I haven't done since not long after high school and I thought how weird it is that some people never change and they may have thought that of me, too, but then I remembered why I don't do what I hadn't done since high school and basically stared at the ceiling while they said "remember that time" and laughed while I grunted in response.


So what else can I do to change my life, I keep hearing myself say, cause I sold my insurance agency cause I didn't like it really and I'm getting divorced even though I like her just fine, but we really should split up cause it's for the best, but now I have to sell my house and I'm starting graduate school (I think I mentioned that) but what else can I do to change my life...oh yeah I could start doing something I haven't done since almost high school but I really don't like the effect it has on me.

So I'm over at this guy's house right and he's playing a video of his band Lungfish playing in Japan last year and this song comes on and the guitar part is this distorted, droning, sonorous, pulsing thing and I can feel the waves of it washing through my brain and I remember why I stopped doing this right after high school.

So anyway tomorrow all these people that I respect and who are like, you know, really good writers and shit, well they're going to evaluate a piece of my writing and it's like really personal stuff and with all these images of sex and abuse and other stuff that I haven't done since almost high school and they are going to evaluate it and they are like really good writers and shit and I'm kind of freaking out about it.

What was I talking about?

Oh, yeah Lungfish I really recommend their cd Feral Hymns God it's fucking good but it's making me a little paranoid.

What was I talking about?

15 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

What are you talking about?! Seems like this is back to the future for you...

M said...

just don't bogart it, okay?

That's the thing that freaks me out about writing too...you know the real writing not the made up stuff - the critiquing what's made you who you are stuff.. *hug*

Bugwit said...

Chickybabe:

Just a short visit backwards. Can't live that way, you know?

M:

Never again, Mez, never again. I am prepared to cut off any personal questions and comments and make them stick to the writing. They can ask about my personal life after class if they are still interested.

Chicky Pea said...

Yep, sometimes it's good to just make a temporary visit back to a place that was once very familiar but now feels very foreign. It also makes you appreciate why you no longer do it.

Don't feel bed, these days I'm not always sure what the hell I'm talking about either.

And thanks again for the chat. You da bestest!

Joni said...

LOLOLOL

Good luck with the evaluation!

And it is good to remind ourselves why we stop certain behaviors.

So now you're good for another decade or so, right? LOL

Bugwit said...

Joni:

At least a decade!

The workshop went just fine by the way. Couldn't have gone better.

Spilling Ink said...

I knew it would go well, Bug. I just knew it.

Girl Next Door said...

..take a number...I don't know what I'm talking about either! :)

Sounds like you are having fun.

Jenny! said...

I am usually clueless about what I am talking about too! Doing stuff that we did in High School helps remind us why we dont really miss it!

Bugwit said...

Lynn:

Thank you! My mentor seems to be taking a special interest in the piece I wrote. But then, that's what mentors are supposed to do, I suppose. (der)

'Lizbeth!!!

Where have you been? Geez!! It's okay if you don't know what you're talking about so long as no one else realizes it. Once they figure you out, you're screwed.

Jenny!:

Umm...don;t you work for a legal firm? Meaning, shouldn't you know what you;re talking about?

I have been duly reminded about high school stuff. Don't need to re-learn that lesson!

Chicky Pea said...

Bug - I am starting to think you are purposely ignoring me. You know how sensitive I am. This is twice now.

Pink said...

Remember Bug - they're critiquing the work, not you.
xx
pinks

Bugwit said...

Sorry, Chickypea! Shit! That's your reward for saying I'm the bestest!

It wasn't intentional! You're just such a wallflower! ;-)

Pinks:

Thanks, but it went very well. When are you off to Aferca?

Jenny! said...

I use up all my brain power at work...by the time I get home I am nothing more than a dumb broad!

Bugwit said...

What a thing to say about yourself! But, mysteriously, you've just become more attractive to me! (after work only).

;-)