Thursday, September 11, 2014

No Apologies


I won’t say that I am sorry
Though there is sorrow in my soul

I won’t make a promise now
That I can’t fulfill tomorrow

I won’t ask forgiveness
For I still have a little pride
Or maybe I just don’t want to impose

For years and years
I was your engine
I pulled any burden, any load

Traversed the mountain passes
Made the high-speed Great Plains run
And the busy inter-city route

Now that I've been sidetracked
For oh, these past few years
For you, I’ve lost my polish, my power and my pull

You’re not so impressed with me now

I’m not the vehicle that will take you
To your land of careless life
And all your plans are left in shadow and in doubt

So here I am barely pulling my own weight
I’m not a diesel, no Eurostar, no Super Chief
No more rides in comfort, so maybe no more wife

No, I won’t beg your pardon
I can’t expect you to forget
It’s no use to offer blinders now

For there’s nothing of me you haven’t seen

The weight of life and actions
Tugs hard at the edge of my smile
I’m not fun for you like before

So all I ask of you
is this one little thing
Do you want me anymore?



............

11 comments:

Pink said...

wow. that's lovely.

i still love my old toys...my trains...my puzzles...my play house.

even though i'm older and i know what the world is really like, and i know make believe doesn't exist, i still love the toys i loved so long ago.

i am sure i'm not that unusual a woman. a woman's heart is sentimental and the real act of love is loving those old trains even when the shine is gone.

xx
pinks

Spilling Ink said...

Hi, Bug. I'm getting a bit caught up and wanted to stop in and say hi.

M said...

It's those toys you know the most that should also mean the most.

ChickyBabe said...

Beautiful analogy!

Bugwit said...

Pinks: Yeah, well, you never know when the old train will pick up steam again. :-)

Lynn: Glad to see you! Hope we talk soon.

M: But then, familiarity breeds contempt.

CB: Well, maybe, but the poetry's crap. I don;t usually rhyme because is sounds to trite.

~d said...

So all I ask of you
is this one little thing
Do you want me anymore?

there are times when I find myself thinking these words, but, honestly, I KNOW the answer is YES. Part of me WISHES it were no.
*does that make sense?

Bugwit said...

Well, Tildy, I think I do understand. Either answer still requires some consideration, doesn't it?

Eddie said...

Good one bug, know every word and have ask them of my love one, still i sit with no clue were i stand in her life, thanks and glad to see you still writing..

Bugwit said...

Thanks, Eddie! I ask her and I have to ask myself the same question.

Good to see you and thanks for the encouragement.

Chris "Chickenwing" Quigley said...

That is a beautiful poem, well done Bug. It captures a feeling that I relate to well.

Peace out brothah.

Bugwit said...

THanks Dog!