Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Namesake



I went to see The Namesake yesterday. It is the story of a son of Indian immigrants who struggles to escape his Bengali culture, symbolized by his name, Gogol Ganguli. He feels oppressed and uncomfortable with his parents and their traditional ways, as he feels very American. He prefers to go by Nick.

Early in the picture when the grandfather dies, Gogol's mother cries out, wracked with grief. Later in the film, Gogol's father dies and and the son is deeply affected and transformed by the loss. I was moved by this film, especially by these two scenes, but I had to think about why this was so.

On the way home from the theater, I had some time to think while driving down the freeway. Off in the distance, I could see the condo complex where my parents lived until recently. The emotion from the movie hit me again, and I realized why this movie struck a chord. It was not because I anticipated that I would miss my father when he dies, it was because I knew that I would not.

Gogol's father and grandfather were wise, loving men who put their children first, provided thoughtful guidance and imparted moral and intellectual education for their children. Mine did not. I was lightly parented at best. My father mostly ignored me, but on those occasions when he turned his attention my way, he was derisive, insulting and cruel. To this day, he seeks to elevate his self-esteem by lowering that of those around him.

I will not miss that.

As I grew up I, like Gogol, saw myself as being stuck with an unusual name that I wished I could escape. I no longer dislike my name, but unlike Gogol, I have not come to appreciate my father or seen the light of his love and wisdom. Nor do not think this will ever happen. I will not mourn him when he goes, for I have already mourned my lack of a father.



.......

19 comments:

BirdMadGirl said...

Unfortunately, your father and my mother sound like the same person. :|

guinevere said...

I have this fear of being at a funeral of a close "loved" one and shedding no tears. I believe you, valyna and I are all related.
I read about this movie. Topic aside, how was the filming?

Bugwit said...

Val: My condolences.

guin: Oddly, I have made it 45 years and only been to one funeral - the young daughter of a co-worker who was murdered. I;ve never buried any realtives or anyone I loved. I don't know how I would react.

The movie was good-defintely worth seeing. It's funny and poinant. Some nice shots of India.

Joni said...

When my father died (when I was 18) it was the greatest relief I had felt in my short life. The hardest part about that is not feeling guilty about it afterward. Thankfully, I don't.

Bugwit said...

Joni: I think that's how I would feel. I would feel good for my mother, too. How's that for love, huh?

~d said...

(one day I will be a regular adult again. One day I will be a regular adult again...)
repeating mantra. I have never even heard of this movie. God I feel so out of touch. So out of time!
SEE, no life!

Bugwit said...

Tildy: Don;t feel bad about not having heard of the movie. Just feel bad about quote Hall & Oates! ;-)

M said...

I really want to see that movie. I saw the preview the other day and thought I'd have a lot of identify with in that one.

BirdMadGirl said...

Awwww... you linked me :) I feel all fluttery now ;)

*bites

Chicky Pea said...

I don't think I have seen previews for this either but then again I hardly watch tv.

bug - that is pretty incredible that you have only been to one funeral. When the time comes I'm sure you will handle it just fine.

Bugwit said...

M: You are Bengali, too?

Val: Well, I can't hang in your meat locker and not return the favor, eh?

CP: I haven't seen ads on tv for it, just at other movies.

Funeral: Um...thanks? Can't wait?

missy said...

Is there a place here for people like me who's loved and respected by her parents?

My only angst about them perhaps is that sometimes I wish they would treat me like a child :-)

Bugwit said...

Missy: Sure, you're welcome here, despite your great relationship with your folks.

Everybody be nice to Missy despite her happy upbringing, okay?

;-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Bug. It's been a while. I'm really glad to see you're still out there posting, brother. Hope all's well with you.

I'll certainly check this flick out.

guinevere said...

Murdered. How do you begin to get through that?
Guin

M said...

nope, but my mother is croatian and my father was italian so I know all about moving to a new land and dealing with new traditions versus old traditions and how difficult that can be..

Bugwit said...

Guin: I don't know how to answer that.

M: Italian-Croat!

Bugwit said...

Sorry, Mez, there was more to what I wanted to say than just 'Italin Croat!' but I had to deal with a customer.

So it sounds like your parent emigrated to Aus? You are a first-generation Aussie? I forget how similar our countries are.

Bugwit said...

PS: You must have had great food growing up!