Thursday, September 11, 2014

My New Career Coach

Larry Bort is smiling at me. He always smiles. I can see all of his teeth. His eyes bulge and look a little wild. His grayish blonde hair sticks up like in a rooster tail. His scalp line recedes at the temples, leaving a mohawk-like strip down the center of his head.

I am in the process of taking bids to paint my house. I already had two estimates when I remembered that the guy down the street paints houses. It seemed like a good idea to talk to him since he presumably knows the neighborhood and would not get me into trouble with the Homeowners' Association, whose spies are everywhere. They would love to fine me $100 for improper paint color or contractors working on Sundays or some other arcane rule of which I am not aware.

As we talk at the front of the house, I see Larry's red Honda sports car parked on the street. I suddenly remember a few months back when a crazed jerk in a red sports car got impatient with me while we drove down the main street of the subdivision. I kept stopping at all the stop signs, which annoyed him to no end. In my rear-view mirror, I saw him weave, threaten to pass on the right and gesture wildly from behind the wheel. I slowed down just to irritate him more. When we finally exited the neighborhood, he flew around me and flipped me off.

We walk around the house and I point out all the trouble spots. Larry doesn't take measurements like the other painters did, but he says he can tell me exactly how much he would charge me. Except for the paint. He'd just bill me for the paint at the end. I tell him I need a good estimate on the paint costs.

"Well, I couldn't even begin to guess how much paint this house would need!" He says.

"The other two painters both said about 40 gallons per coat," I reply.

"Yes! That's exactly how much I was going to say!"

"Right," I think to myself.

"Well, the labor for this job would be $7900. I'll figure the paint and call you."

Larry's bid was about twice as high as the other two I'd gotten already.

As we walked down the driveway, I asked him how long he'd been painting houses.

"Oh, just a couple of years, while I've been between jobs."

"Really? What do you usually do?" I asked.

"I'm a licensed therapist." His grin never waned for one moment.

"How 'bout that!" I said.

"What about you? What do you do?" Larry asked.

"Insurance agent."

"Do you like it?"

"Sometimes."

"Well, if you ever want to make a career change, or just want to get more out of your current job, call me."

He whipped out a business card that read "Larry Bort, Business Coach/Career Counselor."

......

UPDATE! This guy looked really familiar, but I couldn't place him. Then tonight, I turn on an old favorite movie, Escape from New York, and there he was, the crazy-looking punk dude, Isaac Hayes' right-hand man. That's him, wild eyes, and sticky-up hair.

......

10 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

So are you going to let him paint the house?

Ha!

Sounds wild.

~d said...

There is this 'new' 6 or so year old life style therapy type of THING called Life Coach.
I volunteered to be a (guinea pig) for a girl who was THISCLOSE to graduating.
Pretty cool. Esp for FREE.
*remind me to tell the story of the wedding she officiated and I ended up photographing...

ChickyBabe said...

The nerve! I hope you showed him the door.

Bugwit said...

Lynn: Another bid was officially accepted tonight.

Tildy: Please DO tell me!

Chicky: Showed him the door. The walls, the windows. :-)

guinevere said...

Hello, Bugwit
This is a funny story.
It feels nice to smile.
If only for a moment.
I want to look back through your posts.
Perhaps another time.
Guin

Chicky Pea said...

I wanted to know what your next career was going to be. Perhaps sex therapist?

guinevere said...

Bugwit: Works both ways. Women do it to men, guys get their hearts broken, too. You put this in my 3rd blog comment. I do not think many women believe that men get their feelings hurt. I do not think I believe it.
Guin

Bugwit said...

Guin: Feel free to peruse at you pleasure. Let me know if you like anything. :-)

CP: That would be a bad career choice for me. It's best to go with careers that you know something about.;-)

Guin: It can be hard to believe that anyone has felt what you feel. Well, there's plenty of blood on the pages here if you look around enough.

And sometimes it helps to take it out on someone. If you want to take it out on me, I can take it.

guinevere said...

Happy Birthday to you as well.
1976 Freddie Prinze, Jr. It seems I have 5 years on you, mate.

I finished off this Pinot Grigio. Cold, day old wine. I left you a bit more information.
Freddie, I went through your 2006 blogs. I read several interesting things there. If I leave a comment on something last year, how will you know to find it?
Guin

Bugwit said...

Guin: Let's see, this is Sav Blanc I'm drinking.

I had to look that up, Freddie was born same day as me, eh? So you are five years younger or older. THan me or Freddie?

Go ahead and leave a message. All I do with my life is obsessively look at all my old posts, so I'm bound to see it sooner or later.