Thursday, September 11, 2014

Parents: Do You Know Where Your Children Are?


Last night, Mrs. Wit and I invited ourselves to dinner at her parents' house. Now is the perfect time to tell them that we are getting divorced. Mrs. Wit's sister is out of the country, so we can have time alone with the folks without a three-ring circus of kids, toys and five different conversations swirling around us. Besides, the sister-in-law specifically asked us to tell them while she was gone so that she would not have to answer all the questions that they will never ask us.




Mrs. Wit has been worried about this moment for some time now. She's worried about her parents' reaction, or possible lack of reaction. They will surely pucker up like like they have been force-fed a bottle of Real Lemon. They will most likely be speechless, but the disapproval will be obvious on their faces. Worst case, they will quickly change the subject to something inconsequential. They have a difficult time with feelings.


Mrs. Wit has always had a strained relationship with her parents. As a little girl, they were exasperated with her shyness and figured the way to cure it was to put her on the spot with relatives and guests to the house. Later, they thought they could just order her to be more social. They tried to make her hang out with the popular girls and try out for the cheerleader squad, and were aggravated and confounded that she did not. They were popular in high school, they figured, so why couldn't she be?


Soon, life became a battle of wills between Mrs. Wit and her parents. She wanted to take ice skating lessons. Instead, they made her take tennis. She wanted to play the piano. They made her play flute. They hated the boyfriends she liked - the ones that were shy and thoughtful - and liked the ones she hated - the ones that were polite and well-spoken to the parents and attacked her as soon as they pulled out of the driveway.


All through high school, they treated her like she was possessed by a demon. They called her slut for dating two guys in the space of three weeks. They thought she was a degenerate drunk and drug abuser that fucked every guy she met. The truth was that she drank some and smoked a little pot and slept with two guys all through high school. Still, she graduated with a 3.6 GPA. She was no bad girl.


They never once in her life hugged her, touched her or told her that they loved her. In 22 years, I've heard her mother say it once. Never heard the father say it. Growing up, she wasn't allowed to speak at the dinner table. If she frowned during dinner, she was sent to her room. When dad watched tv, Mrs. Wit and her sister were not allowed in the room. She was expected to wait in the hall until a commercial, then go to the kitchen and wash dishes until the show came back on. He didn't want to hear the sound of the kitchen while he watched. It could take an hour and a half to complete the task. She also was not allowed to run water while her father slept. No showers or brushing teeth in the morning, no flushing the toilet at night.


When she went to college, they told her that they were glad to see her go. After a month at school, she caught a ride home for the weekend. Her parents refused to let her in the house. They said that she had not been away long enough and needed to get used to living alone. She had to find a friend to stay with for the weekend.


By the time I met Mrs. Wit a year later, she was barely speaking to her parents. I tried to help them reconcile, which they did, slowly. Things were much better toward the end of our sophomore year, when I asked her to marry me. She accepted, but her freaked-out parents made her promise not to get married until after graduation. She agreed.


But then came summer school. My plan was to go up to Flagstaff and spend the summer in the cool pines, attend Northern Arizona University and live with my parents. Camille decided to also go to NAU and stay in the dorm. Her parents said she could stay at the University of Arizona or come home and go to Arizona State. We decided that we would both go to Uof A and stay in the dorm. Nope, they changed their minds and now they wanted her to just come home. Now it was clear. It had nothing to do with educational choices, it was about keeping us apart. We did some calculations and figured that if we were careful with our money, we could get an apartment and and pay our own tuition.



Sure enough, when we told them that we were moving in together, they threatened to cut her off financially. She told them to go ahead, we could handle it. Then they offered to take her to Europe for three weeks and buy her a new car if she would just come home. We moved into the apartment and paid our own way through school. We also went ahead and got married after our junior year.


With all this behind us by twenty years, it is still amazing how much Mrs. Wit still hates to tell them anything. As we approached the house, she became very nervous about breaking the news Soon after out arrival, the in-laws launched into a rant about how stupid a person in this city would have to be to buy a condominium. They didn't know that Mrs. Wit and I had spent the day condo shopping while prospective buyers looked at our house.






Right then, I could see that Mrs. Wit was aborting the mission. We would just have dinner and make pleasant conversation for the rest of the night. In fact, it was one of the best nights we've ever had with them.



Why do parents keep such a psychological hold on us, long after they've ceased to actually run our lives?






28 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

The influence of the parents survives even after their physical deaths. They will never go away until we make them go away. Maybe different people have different ways of doing that and it's tricky to figure out.

Justine said...

Her parents sound like really hard work. So, you didn't break the news?

Pink said...

Something happens to us when we get around our parents and we become the teenagers we once were.

The one good thing that came out of my mother's death many years ago was that my father and I were forced to face each other and either develop a relationship or drift apart.

Maybe I've not always lived my life the way my father would wish for me...but then he has done things of which I don't approve either and we've had it out on these and there has been a foregiveness and acceptance of one another as basically good but flawed individuals.

Now we have an understanding that we both make our own choices and we just want the other to be happy.

Its a great feeling to have a relationship with a parent, adult to adult.

I hope Mrs. Wit can come to this some day and maybe this episode...as difficult as it is to get through...will be the catalyst to building this kind of relationship.
xx
pinks

Chicky Pea said...

Hard to say why that is the case but it doesn't matter how old we are, we still feel like little kids when it comes to our parents.

Things definitely were different back then. My parents never said they loved me either, even though I know they did/do. I say it to my children CONSTANTLY. My brother and I just talked about that this weekend, how our parents never did that. I don't think people were as comfortable with their emotions back then.

I hope you are able to break the news soon.

Mackenzie said...

I don't know why, but when you figure it out will you let me know?

Anonymous said...

What dreamy parents.I don't know the answer to your question, so I'll just address something that moves me regarding this entry. In describing Ms. Wits childhood and her awful parents you write about it with such empathy and understanding for her. It's nice to see that even at the end of your marital relationship, you guys are still a team...

Samantha said...

I guess after what has been happening in these past few weeks, it has shocked my parents into giving a shit once more. Wonder how long that lasts?

Bugwit said...

(((Lynn))) It is difficult, I know. For years, I was just fine with my parents. Now thye drive me crazy again. But, they live under Mrs. Wit's skin. She has been tryng for years to get them out.

Justine: Nope. she chickened out, and it really isn't my place, so I held my tongue.

Tania: I hope so for their sakes, but I have my doubts. I think her folks are just too emotionally constipated.

PS: Your dad should be very proud of you.

CP: Not my problem on breaking the news! But, I know what you mean about the emotional stuff. I think she had some serious doubts about how they really felt about her when she was a kid. She knows they love her, but she has some serious resentments about how she was treated. I could go on for pages with all the crap they did.

BV: If I figure it out, you'll get a free copy of my million-seeling book! :-)

Elizabeth: It sounds funny, but I love her very much. I don't want anything but the best for her.

Samantha! Good to see you! Well, I'll be over to your place to find out exactly what's been happening. See you there.

jungle jane said...

Sounds like Mrs Bugwit's parents should be called Mr and Mrs Fuckwit.

You best tell them before they drive past your house and see the For Sale sign, eh?

Bugwit said...

JJ: No kidding about the folks. Luckily for me, they are pretty decent people NOW, except for the tight-assedness, but Mrs. Wit still feels all the barbs of yesteryear.

It's going to be harder and harder to explain things like calls from real estate people, having to be out of the home for open houses and crap like that.

Joni said...

OK, I'm gonna say something that is probably going to be perceived as controversial (Oh, the horror). But it has been my experience that part of really becoming a grown-up is to tell your parents to fuck off. Maybe not in those terms, but to make it clear that it is your life and that you are the one who is choosing its direction.

I hope Mrs. Wit finds it within herself to accept that she (and you) have made a decision that you both feel is right for you and to own that decision with confidence in front of her parents.

Shitty parenting shouldn't be tolerated past the age of 21 (and sometimes not even that long). While she's telling them, she should ask them for an apology for being crappy parents.

LOL Sorry, I'm getting on my soapbox now.

I wish you both the best of luck with telling them.

Spilling Ink said...

I totally agree with Joni.

Bugwit said...

I totally agree with Lynn. :-)

Yes, Joni, 'Fuck yuo!' can be very powerful in adult-parent relationships. She's never quite said that. The truth is that they are SO much more human than when I met them, and they will probably not react or judge In our presence, anyway). They'll say little and then go the Mrs. Wit's sister for details, who will tell them to ask us.

Mostly its about the past, not about whatt kind o f people they are now.

Spilling Ink said...

You never know what might change if she were to call them out on the carpet for the past. If they have changed, they will express their remorse and a new relationship might develop. If they have not, then she'll know what they really are. This stuff is hard. Bottom line.

{{{{{{Lovebug & Mrs. Wit}}}}}}

Bugwit said...

Lynn: She did confront them about five or six years ago. Flew in from Minnesota to do so. She told them ahead of time what she wanted to talk about...

Her father did his best to see her points and be understanding, but her mother was defensive and uptight and made rude, argumentative remarks.

So, mixed results.

MarmiteToasty said...

At the end of the day it has nowt to do with THEM........ you both do what YOU need to do......

ps..... you ave well knobbly hands lol :) well hand... omgosh, maybe you only have one arm and you didnt tell us :(....... ;)

x

ChickyBabe said...

Time to stand up for the parents. Actually it's way overdue. I'm all for respect and politeness but NOT telling them till later an infuriate them when they find out. Sounds like they'd never be happy. May as well bite the bullet and do it.

So, they didn't notice you took the ring off?

M said...

I don't know why but it does happen and since parental love or lack thereof is the strongest influence on our psychology then it's important to understand that..pull and how to stop it.

On the other hand I honestly believe that unless you know what it's like to have your parents be heartless, or horrible, or whatever it is - then it's so easy to say tell them to fuck off. It doesn't quite work that way. I was not surprised at all at your story of her confronting them and their reactions.

Was it difficult to take off?

Pink said...

Marmy - I'm with you on the knobby. But also rather hairy I'd say.

I think we need verifiable evidence of another arm before we can hand it to him.

xx
pinks

~d said...

There are so many thoughts in my head after reading this, Bug. I am flooded with memories of my own childhood, I am remembering just this past Easter, this past Thanksgiving...I am remembering my 18th birthday.
You know what scares me most of all? It's not how I will deal with (my life's imperfections). But, what imperfections will I (accidentally) bestow on my children. What, Bug, what horrible things will they remember that I had no clue I did (to) them.
*what is the saying abt chose your friends but you cant chose your family...or something. Good luck, Bug. Mrs. Wit has (no doubt) benefited from her years with you. I am sure the two of you will go forth as strong adults. (Doesn't 20 seem like such a KID, now?!)
~d heart Bug

MarmiteToasty said...

Pink, yeah, hairy and knobbly lol...... I like a bloke with proper bloke work worn hands :).....

or hand as in Bugs case, cos we have no evidence that he has a pair of them...... cheap at crimbo though, just have to knit one glove LOL

x

missy said...

That's so surreal. Sounds like something made for a film. I don't know anyone whose parents are as bad... but then I don't really ask about parents of people who are not very, very close to me. When people talk about their parents in a critical way, I feel quite uncomfortable and I ran out of things to say...

Chris "Chickenwing" Quigley said...

I think it speaks volumes for the both of you that even though you are getting a divorce, there is still an aura of togetherness about you..particularly that you're not making her deal with her parents on her own.
You're a good doobie, Mr. Wit..and she seems like a wonderful lady...I hope you both find happiness.

Bugwit said...

(((Marmy))): True enough that it's not about them. But I feel for Mrs. Wit. I know how much they drive her crazy. I like them just fine, actually, except knowing how they treated her as a child. I didn't even mention some of the worst parts.

Hey! You and Pinks lay off my hands! Yes, I have two! I've been told that they are nice and soft, thank you very much. Not like sandpaper mitts at all! They are kind of hairy, though. At least the palms are.

I think it's just the close up, flash photos. They don't do anyone justice.

I was going to publish a picture of both my hands, but couldn't figure how to work the camera with my mouth. Then I realized that it's obvious that I have two hands, otherwise all the words I typed would only use the letters q thru t, a to g and z to b! That's a dead giveaway.

Chickybabe: Well, it's not that the parents try to control her or anything (anymore), its just that she's intimidated by their judgment, even if they say nothing. It's hard to stand up to them by saying, "I know what you're thinking, so stop it!"

I took the ring off afterwards.

Miz Mez: It was not physically hard to get off. It was difficult mentally. There's still a mark there. Like Frodo (nerd alert!), I have the urge to put it back on and also the urge to be free of it.

(((Tildy))): I'm really handing out the hugs today! All you can do is be the best parent you can. It's a difficult mix between being sensitive and maintaining discipline. Mrs. Wit's fold faulted on the side of harsh discipline, mine faulted on the side of not giving a shit.

20 seems very, very young now. Mrs wit was 20 and I was 25 when we married. Whenever Mrs. Wit looks at one of our wedding pictures, she says "Look at those two. They thought they knew everything. They didn't know shit."

Missy: That's right, you're one of those freaks that loves her parents. No hug for you!!! ;-)

The truth is that many people's parents were worse than Mrs Wit's (probably several who've commented on this post). She was never physically abused, but they definitely left some emotional scars.

Don't worry about not having anything to say. Just be understanding with your friends and then call your parents to tell them you love them.

Bugwit said...

Sorry, Dog, you snuck in on me while I was typing my novel-sized comment!

Thanks! Yes, we are still a team and we plan to stay friends. She's the best friend I've ever had. I suppose some people will have a problem with that. Fuck them.

Spilling Ink said...

D-- Just the fact that you are aware of the things you talk about in your comment is very good news for your children! I think that when adult children realize that things could or should have been different growing up, the reaction of their parents is CRUCIAL in how well they end up. I see by your comment that you have the ability to empathize with your children. I think this speaks well for their futures! Our children do best when we keep our hearts open to them. Love and best wishes to you and yours, D :-)

Pink said...

novel sized comment with one hand, i might add.
xx

Citymouse said...

ya, i hope im not like that with my kids....