Thursday, September 11, 2014

Breeders Versus the Childless


Mrs. Wit and I attended a back-yard barbecue a few weeks ago, little knowing that we would be the only childless couple in attendance. Breeders and childless couples at a party are like different species of animal at the watering hole. We tolerate each other because we both want to be there to slake our parched social lives, but mutual mistrust complicates all communications. When forced to occupy common ground, we tiptoe around one another, eyes averted, careful not to do something that might spur a conversation. Hand signals, nods and blatant telegraphing of intentions are needed. 
Even with all that, no connection between the childless and a pro-progeny couple lasts for very long, because kids will always divert our attention.

 We walked in the front door and followed the noise of conversation to the kitchen. The hosts, Craig and Lisa welcomed us and re-introduced themselves. As we made with the hi-how-ya-doin-been-a-whiles, two more couples walked in from the back yard. We said quick hellos and made a few half hearted jabs at finding common conversational ground.

Mother #1: “Hey, have you seen the Cars movie?”
Me: “No. I heard it was good, though. Have you seen Babel or Notes on A Scandal?”
Mother #1: “Oh, no. The kids would never sit still through those.”
Me: “Ah…right.”   

Thereafter, we pretended to be occupied elsewhere. We recognized that we were members of rival herds on the procreation Savannah. Despite knowing each other for years, we had absolutely nothing to talk about. To busy myself, I went back to assembling my potluck dinner.
Mother #1 did the same, turning to ask her three-year-old daughter, “Honey, do you want pickles?”
No reply.
Mother #1 continued to load her plate. “Sweety, do you want a hot dog or a hamburger?”
The daughter picked her nose in response
“Okay, I’m gonna give you a hot dog, but you’d better eat it! Not like last time. Remember what mommy said?”
The daughter examined the booger on end of her finger.

“She’s adorable,” I said to mother #1.
“Oh, thank you!” she smiled.

Outside, I saw my sister-in-law Jennifer and her husband Stef seated at a round table under the portico of the big Spanish-style house. The yard was immense for Arizona, with a large pool and barbecue area taking half the yard and a big grassy area literally overrun with mobs of kids aged two to eight.
I took a seat next to Stef. I used to have great conversations with him and enjoyed his company immensely. I miss that. When he became a father, he grew sort of quiet. Then when the second child came, he disappeared into his computer room and now emerges only for sustenance and hygiene.



Steve and I ate our hamburgers and stared into the middle distance while the hurricane of screaming children and bustling mothers swirled around us. At the far corner of the yard, all the other fathers stood around the barbecue, drinking beer. They gathered there  because a grill, or any fire, is an instinctual rallying point for tribal men. There, out of earshot of theirs wives, they can re-affirm their masculinity by burning stuff. They can talk about sprinkler systems and cell phones and combat-related video games: the modern-day equivalent of discussing weather, rumors of the movements of game animals and actual combat. The grill also happened to be as far away as possible from the wives, who never strayed more than twenty feet from the buffet table. Most importantly, the barbecue sat next to the pool, which was completely fenced off from the kids. Whoever designed this back yard was an exceptionally clever husband and father. 

As the evening progressed, I began to notice that the other three chairs at my table were always occupied by someone, but never by the same person for more than thirty seconds. As soon as one woman sat down and began to eat or drink or talk, a child would begin to cry or take a third piece of cake or make another child eat something found in the grass and the mother would pounce on the child like a leopard on a gazelle, leaving her dinner and the conversation lying on the table. 

Mother #2 sat down with plate of food. “So Paul, how ‘s the insurance business going?”
“Well,” I said, “it’s going okay. December and January were slow, but February was better…”

But she wasn’t listening to me. Her eyes were fixed on something over my shoulder.

“…and March is shaping up…”

“Jack! You put that down! JACK! Don’t throw things at your sister!” Mother #2 bolted the table to disarm Jack. 

Jennifer, my sister-in-law, took the seat that mother #2 just vacated and pushed aside the plate of food to make room for her own.

“What’s shakin’ bacon?” She asked, smiling.

Before I could answer, Stef woke from his reverie. “Jenn, where’s little James?”

Jenn: “Out here somewhere. I’ve been inside getting food.”
“Why don’t you go find him?” Stef said, though he had finished his meal and Jenn had only taken one bite of hers. Jenn jumped up and began to scan the yard for her boy. Stef instantly reverted to his vacant stare.
My six-year-old niece, Sophie, walked up with a boy that appeared to be eight or nine.

“Uncle Paul, this my boyfriend! I love him!”
“Really? What’s his name?” I asked.
Sophie: “I don’t know…”
“Well, let’s hope that this is that last time you have to admit that!”
Sophie: “Huh?”
“Have fun, sweetie.”
Sophie and boy toy ran off hand in hand, their early interest in the opposite sex nearly ensuring that they would be joining the ranks of the breeders some day. Hopefully not too soon.
Janet returned and sat down.
“Your daughter has a boyfriend,” I told her.
“I’m sure it’s harmless, ” she said as she looked out to the yard. There, she saw her daughter wrap her arms tightly around the waist of her anonymous friend. She gazed  deeply into his eyes and smiled. He seemed puzzled.
“Sophie! Get over here!” Jenn snapped at her daughter.
Sophie released her grip and ran over to her mother.
“Here. Eat your hot dog.” Jenn shoved a hot dog at Sophie.
“Jeesh! She’s here five minutes and she has somebody,” Jenn said to me. “I’m here my whole life, and I’m like a disease.”
Janet and I cracked up at her Sixteen Candles reference.
Stef reached consciousness once again. “James is eating gravel.”
Jenn jumped up and ran to James. Stef glazed over.
Sophie munched her hot dog and her everlasting love ran up to the table. “Hey what’s-your-face, there’s a place to eat over here!” The two ran off to a park bench in the corner of the yard.

Mother # 3 sat down and began yelling instructions to her kids, who were riding a miniature battery-powered Jeep around the yard. Lisa, the hostess, sat down and joined us. Mother # 3 began to talk to Lisa about going to Disney World, but Lisa did not pay attention. She was distracted by her daughter who was on the far side of the yard crying about something or other.Mother #3 realized that Lisa was not paying any attention, but out of embarrassment, she continued to talk anyway. As she continued she searched from face to face to see if anyone heard her. I was the only person looking at her, so she locked onto me and continued her story. “…my kids would love to go to Orlando, because they’ve already been to Disney Land. They are just joys to travel with…they just sit quietly in the back seat and stare out the window…” 

As I listened, I thought to myself, “That’s because your kids are so thick that they barely qualify as sentient beings.”



Meanwhile, I looked over her shoulder and watched her daughters plow the motorized mini-jeep into a miniature umbrella table at which three miniature people were seated. The table fell over and the three kids began to bawl. Mother #3 snapped her head around and sprang to her feet to yell at her little reckless drivers. 

At that point, I’d had enough and gave Mrs. Wit the sign that I wanted to leave. We made our exit, pausing to say goodbye to Craig, who stood supervising the playroom. There, various children were having fun with the thousands of dollars worth of electronic toys and gadgets that he and Lisa keep there. Apparently, the best thing about electronic toys is throwing them at each other. We asked about Lisa, as we hadn’t seen her for a while and Craig explained that she was upstairs trying to calm her son, who was having a ‘meltdown.’
As we passed through the kitchen crowd on the way to the door, one of the mothers finally spoke directly to us: “So when are you having kids?”

“Never!” Mrs. Wit and I answered in unison. Neither of us turned to look back at the watering hole.


.....

25 comments:

Lynn said...

Jesus, Bug. I can hardly blame you and Mrs. Wit!! You are ALLOWED to choose to remain childless (no matter what some breeders think)!! I'm definitely a breeder, love my kids to death, but I can really relate to this piece. Once in a while it begins to seem more exhausting to take kids places than it is to just let them tear down the house. I HATE get-togethers like that one. I REFUSE to talk about cartoons and kid movies at a get-together with other adults. I guess not all parents feel the need to carve out spaces that don't include their children... or perhaps they have been brainwashed by the super-parent culture and it would make them feel inadequate to admit to having such a need.

Bugwit said...

Ref: I actually love my nieces and nephew very much, but I have my time limits even with them. I actually am more annoyed by parents than by kids.

Luckily sis-in-law is actually able to converse with childless adults. She didn't lose her brain with her placenta. :-)

guinevere said...

I just spent 3 nights and 2 days with a couple with small boys. The boys are well behaved. As far as children go. I never got more than 10 minutes with gf until after kids went to sleep.
Guin

Bugwit said...

Guin: I know how that goes. An old friend and his wife and 12-year-old recently visited. We never talked much until the girl went to bed. She was sweet, but it's nice to have the adult conversations.

~d said...

My first reaction is: welcome to my world. My second reaction is out of defense. I make a VERY conscious effort to say excuse me to whomever I am speaking with if I have to holla at a kid. But you know...even the best of parents (I am SOO not giving myself that title) even the best will be assholes to their kids one day.
(Hi Guin...remember?)

Bugwit said...

Tildy: Parenting is a tough job, no doubt. I dont want to make anyone feel defensive, but it just seems like few parents are able to have have adult conversations after having kids. And that fact is amusing to me.

ChickyBabe said...

I can relate to some extent. I lost a couple of close friends after they had children because they lost their ability to finish a sentence or make normal conversation without 'gah gah' talk or speaking to their child. We were never able to have a conversation again, not even on the phone!

M said...

in the breeder circle I can handle the kids (in fact am on about the same mental capacity as the kids), many parents are GREAT but it's the crappy ones that ruin it for everyone. I hate the whole 'can't quite finish a sentence like a normal human anymore' thing.

missy said...

Imagine what a single person feels like going to these very couple-y events. We just get hit on by the oldest uncles!

I'd rather go to the play room and throw electronic toys.

Bugwit said...

Chicky: Yeah, we've lost a lot of couple friends when they have their first child. They get tied down and beging to prefer the company of other parents. After a while, we lose the ability to communicate.

M: Well, that option is not really there for me. Nobody wants a forty-five year old man hanging around their kids! But that's often what I do at family things - play with the nieces and nephew. I donpt know why I'm the prefered playmate, but I am somehow.

Missy: Yes, single people would have it even worse! I can't say any old uncles have hit on me, but my wife does occaisionally get cornered by a wife who sells cometics from the home.

~d said...

I am capable of having adult conversations. Sometimes. HAHA!
This is a funny/good post, Bug.

Chicky Pea said...

You are supposed to know the boy's name? Funny how I picked that up out of that whole long post, huh?

Seriously though, I do know how you feel. I've been on both sides since I am fertility challenged. It took me over 7 yrs to have kids so I remember the days of being the childless one. I also have to say I have very little tolerance for anyone else's kids, barely enough for my own some days.

I am also one of those parents who do not want her kids annoying other people. I hate the parents that show up to a party and pretend they came alone while their kids run amuck and become everyone else's problem.

So, do you REALLY have to know his name? :-)

Bugwit said...

TIldy: Your conversation skills do seem to have been left intact. :-)

CP: 'Hey whats-your-name' seemed to be okay with my niece.

There was an old episode of Murphy Brown (yeah, that's only kind, I know), when she first announces to her co-workers that she is pregnant.

Jim, the conservative anchorman, asks, "Do you know who the father is?"

Murphy shoots him a cold stare and says "I don't look at their faces, Jim."

BirdMadGirl said...

Well, I absolutely LOVE kids and have been known to hang out in the playroom with them drinking beers and coloring instead of hanging with the adults. Adults bore me most of the time. Plus, the parties that I go to involve lots of catty bitches talking about people that aren't there or card games... which I hate.

Also, I've always wanted kids - but discovered that's not going to be an option for me. So now when I get around people with kids, that know about my situation, they act all weird and struggle to find something to talk about. It's always awkward.

Good times.

BirdMadGirl said...

P.S.

I had this GREAT girlfriend when I lived in Ohio. We were quite inseperable and we just adored one another. Then, marriage and kids came into her life. She didn't have the best childhood - so she is making damn sure that she's the most amazing mom she can be. And kudos to her for that, and she does a great job. But being a 24/7 stay at home mom and homeschooling her kids, has built a huge gap between us. We've tried to plan trips to see each other and it never works out. Her kids come 1st (as they should) but it's almost obsessive with her... and our friendship is failing because of it.

Not to mention that with my infertility - I just get bitter whenever I have to sit through conversations about how great being a mom is and how wonderful her babies are. But, really, I can't blame her - when she revolves her entire life around the kids... what else does she have to talk about???? I'm sure I'll get over my bitterness one day.. but I'm not sure the friendship will ever be the way it was before she had kids. And I'm sad for that... And I miss her.


*Damn.. I can ramble. Sorry!!!

Bugwit said...

Val: Rambling is encouraged! Yeah, the level of chatter with some adults is enough to make me hange with the nieces and newphew, too. Can't do that with kids I don;t know, tho!

It's hard to get accustomed to the level of attention that parents give kids now. When I was young, they shoved all the kids in one room and told us not to come out unless someone was bleeding! A kid that interupted adult conversation was going to get yelled at.

But then, I also didn't have a room that was knee-deep in toys like nearly every kid does today.

So, that's probably part of my problem. I just don't like how kids are raised now. Seem like the next generation will be spoiled beyonf beleif and no used to hearing someone say no.

That said, being a parent is a tough job (usually just for the mother), and one for which I never thought I was properly equiped. Being the fun uncle is enough.

guinevere said...

I remembered the boys' names. I just did not remember whose name went with which child.
Guin

Bugwit said...

Guin: You really should pay more attention! :-)

anony mouse? muse? said...

And one day, if you are a true to yourself, you get a babysitter and have an adult night. And then you go out with just the adults, because you dont want to judged by those who dont have kids. I am a proud parent-- but the better I am at being me, the better example I set--- easy to say when they are past the gravel eating stage.

Bugwit said...

Mouse: Touche on being judged by non-parents! I once made a joking, but somewhat ridiculing comment to a friend, who turned and said "that was a very judgemental thing to say." All I I could think was, "and so was that!"

I think you pointed out the problem, which is when people wrap themselves up in thier kids to the exclusion of all other things. I don't think that's healthy for the kids or the parents.

anony mouse? muse? said...

smiles a sinister smile as if she was the type who would eat her own young and says "well put and agreed"

~d said...

HEY! No fair you, you, you...BUG you!!
I almost had Valyna's puzzle figured out!
And you got all the props!
(sulking)
~d ♥ Bug

Bugwit said...

A.Mouse: Well, okay then. It's agreed! Parents should think about themselves and have a good time on a regular basis! Most importantly, remember that no one cares about the color of your kid's poop!

Tildy: You definitely would have had it. I swooped in after you got most of it! *hee hee*

Pink said...

try being a single in that melange.

not only when ya gonna have kids but why aren't you married? don't you think you're being too picky. maybe its all that education thats putting off men...or maybe your big bum...etc..etc...people think they have a right to try to ascertain why you've not married, as if its some kind of failure in life. I'll tell you - today - in midlife, I'm interviewing for a job in Tanzania that may materialise sometime in the next 20 months and it was a great advantage that I'm single and without kids - they can see I'm mobile!

One thing - I never felt happier than the day I turned 40. While I might still have a child, nobody expects it any longer!

i hate these get togethers too!
xx
pink

Bugwit said...

Tania: Yeah, they probably want to burn you at the stake! :-)