Friday, September 12, 2014

SLUT


I knew Janice from 6th through 8th grade. She was a grade ahead of me and two years older. I was informed of her reputation soon after moving into town. She was tall, thin and pretty, but didn't say much. There was something a little different about her, something in her personality. These days I would attribute it to depression or abuse of one kind or another. We didn’t know anything about those things back then; we just knew she was a slut. 

Janice  lived next door to my friend Joe. One day, she came out to talk to Joe, another friend named Chris, and me. Joe demonstrated how easy she was by taking her to the side of the house and putting his hand down her pants. She let him, without resistance. My friend Chris followed. Again, she didn’t stop him. Joe and Chris called me chicken until I did it, too. Janice never said a word. 

After we had all felt her up, we walked away, leaving her standing alone. Joe and Chris called her a slut as we left. The whole thing baffled me and filled me with guilt. I didn’t understand why she would let us do that, and I didn’t understand why my friends would taunt her afterwards. But I knew that Janice didn’t deserve to be treated like that. I saw the pain in her eyes, I knew that we had crushed her soul, and I felt for her.
I wanted to see her more, because I liked her and because I was a horny teenager, like everyone else who'd taken advantage of her. But this was Oklahoma in the seventies. The Baptist church controlled the moral climate and I wasn’t mature enough to resist the prevailing social wind so I couldn’t be seen with her.
Sometimes, I would call her and she’d invite me over if her dad wasn’t home. We’d talk and eventually make out, and I’d gain a little in my sexual education. The next day, without me even saying or doing anything, she knew not to act like we were an item. She’d been a slut for a while by then. She knew the drill. 

Occasionally, I overcame my social fear, or grew some balls if you like, and we’d go somewhere in broad daylight together. Still, I hoped I wouldn’t see anyone I knew. When we were finally spotted, I was teased mercilessly, accused of being in love with a whore. My friends recited the list of who had supposedly done what to her. Instead of standing up for her like I should have, I got back in line and ignored her again.

I didn’t see Janice again for a year – a chance meeting at a drive-in. She’d changed by then. She had short, greasy hair and dirty jeans. She was very stoned on Quaaludes and looked like hell. The last image I have of Janice is her blowing my best friend in the front seat of a rambler station wagon while I held the driver’s side door open, puking up my Bacardi and Coke. Passers-by stared first at me, then at the open sex taking place beside me. Three of our female friends sat horrified in the back seat, their eyes as big as frisbees.

I don’t recall ever seeing Janice after that, but I have thought of her often. I wonder if she loved me. I wonder if I broke her heart, whether she held out hopes that I would be different. I wonder if I contributed to her deterioration. Was I someone significant to her or just one more in a long line of guys who used her.
Still I think of Janice. She was beautiful. In spite of, and because they called her slut.

35 comments:

Mone said...

Wow, my heart went out to Janice by reading that story. Hope she was able to get life back together.

Bugwit said...

Thanks, Mone. I hadn't thought of her in years before I saw that film. Everyone's broken someone's heart. I don't know if I did that in the traditional sense with Janice, but I feel like I contributed to one big, long heartbreak for her.

ChickyBabe said...

Hear hear Bug, what a wonderful and sensitive post. I'm very touched by the story.

Who knows what janica had endured as a child. Putting one-sided labels on people in problematic in our society. If she was a man, the label would change by one letter: she would be called a stud.

M said...

Exactly, and yet noone called you boys sluts for putting your hand down her pants! Men are immune indeed. The whole culture of how women are treated (and feel it acceptable to be treated in such a way) disturbs me.

I'm with chicky, who knows what she endured in her past? Labels sometimes reduce us.

ChickyBabe said...

Oops... 2 letters. I blame the wine! ;)

~d said...

Holla at 'm'. That has always been my aggravation or whatever-why are chicks called sluts, but guys get high-fived in the locker rooms?
Its that whole...double standard.
Sucks.

Farm Girl said...

Poor Janice, I too feel for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she were sexually abused and maybe that is why she acted the way she did.

I'm so on board with ~d because that is what I was going to say. Guys can screw whatever walks by and they are "studs" but who are they screwing? The sluts. What the hell is up with that? I HATE double standards. They suck.

Chris "Chickenwing" Quigley said...

Bug - Well written and unflinching look at the double standard, and I respect how forthright you are even when the finger of blame is pointing, among other places, back at you.
Kudos to you for your honesty.

I hope Janice found some inner peace and happiness in her life eventually.

Ladies - I agree, double standards exist on many levels, and we as a society will be better served once those double standards no longer exist.

Bugwit said...

Chicky: We were pretty young, but the social pressure I receieved was not about staying away from her, it was about being seen with her. So you're right.

M: Yeah, I knew it was unfair and very cruel at the time, but didn;t have the guts to do the right thing.

Tildy: The older I got, the more that was true. The only possible backlash is some girls wouldn't go out with a guy they knew had been with a 'slut.'

Les: I think that's what I understood about Janice that others didn't. They thought she was sex-crazed, full of uncontrollable lust. I knew that she had a problem. I didn't know what that problem was, exactly. She was psycologically damaged, though. I saw some of myself in her.

Bugwit said...

Sleepydog: THank you. Yes, I'm to blame. Maybe I'm worse than most because I think I understood her better than others.

I never called her slut, but I treated her like one.

~d said...

Les' a$$ is on my site today.
:)

(sorry, I needed something positive. Slut. Such an ugly word. I don't think I ever had that reputation on my OWN...but I was a 'victim' of association, you know?)

Erin O'Brien said...

I know a very liberal guy who is also a mormon with a dozen kids and god knows how many grandkids.

Despite all of this, he still will refer to women as sluts. Stuns me every time.

Slut is a four-letter blame-the-victim behometh. Terrible, terrible word.

Tits McGee said...

I love this post, and your unwavering honesty when you tell these stories.

I like reclaiming epithets. I like "queer" and "slut" and use them to describe myself because I've been called both in anger, hatred, and judgement and now find strength in calling them my own.

Most language can be used to harm. To me, you hit the nail on the head when you wrote "When the sexual double-standard, moral judgment and lack of compassion inherent in the word are gone, when the concept of ‘slut’ disappears, the word will go with it." My use of the word is an attempt to rob it of its weight and its power.

I also feel it's important to note that promiscuity needn't be irrevocably linked with victimization or predation. If only we weren't such a fucked-up, sexist, Puritanical culture...

Bugwit said...

Tits: I thought you'd have an interesting perspective on this, given your frequest use of the word, applied to yourself. I recongized it as your way of disarming it, taking away its destructive intent.

It's a good point about this not just being about victimization, though I felt that was Janice's case. Other girls I knew just liked sex and weren't afraid to pursue it when they felt like it. How can anyone have a problem with that?

I prayed to meet girls like that. I could never run them down for feeling the same as I did.

Bugwit said...

Erin: You snuck in on me! Thanks for dropping by!

You know, I hate to generalize about religion, but here goes anyway: Religion is the source of all this. Most religions treat women as chattel, a commodity to be traded, and its value diminished by each sexual encounter. Religions teach that women are the corrupters of men, their urges are more sinister than those of men.

That teaching has been pounded into the heads of parishoners and seeped into the mentality of all society, even those who never went to church, like me. Your friend may be a good guy, but he's been indoctrinated with some evil stuff.

IMO, religions treat women like that because losing control of women's sexuality means losing control of women. Deep down, men beleive that if women are completely free to choose what they do, they will not be able to compete and earn a woman's love, and yes, their sex. They think that they must stack the deck against women in order to secure one for themselves. It's also why men beat women.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Bug. Yes, the double standards regarding sexual behaviour are unbelievable.

I suggest we have more mediaeval style orgies and get over it.

Seriously though, great post, and a touching story you tell about Janice. She sounds great. I would certainly have fallen in love with her...

Bugwit said...

Winters: Yes! Free love! That's the answer! Women of the world, feel no guilt in fooling around with me!

I promise not to call you slut.

missy said...

First of all, I know men who are real sluts.

Seriously, I agree with everyone, this is such a beautiful post that I had to carry on reading even if I don't really have time. Well, I do as I wait for my flight...

missy in prague xx

Erin O'Brien said...

Very well said, Bug.

And then there is that whole original sin thing, Eve picking the apple and what not.

grrrr!

~d said...

Eve?
Apple?

Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Your honesty is a very powerful thing.

Bugwit said...

MIssy: Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, generally behave in a way that would get a woman accused of sluttery, if I can coin a word.

Erin: Ya gotta blame someone!

Tildy: Eve was hot, huh? ;-)

BV: When it comes to honesty, I got nothin' on you, babe!

Zen Wizard said...

There is nothing as cruel as a small American town--that is because there is nothing else to do but talk about everyone.

I can understand your sense of guilt, but there was really nothing that you could have done even if you wanted to--you can't save somebody who does not want to be saved.

Who knows? Maybe this woman turned it all around...

Zen Wizard said...

For some reason, the word "minx" means the same thing but does not sound as offensive.

Or, rather, "minx" implies a "slut" in a fur coat, with $100k in her checking account.

Bugwit said...

Zen: Yeah, I know I coudn't have changed things. I just don't like that I contributed the way I did.

To me, minx implies a more acceptable thing, a high-class, attractive woman, fully aware and in control, on the prowl for a particular man.

Slut, on the other hand, connotes poverty, ignorance, mental instability, lack of control, a slovenly, indescriminate woman.

Minx is almost a compliment.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Great story Bug. Even though I stopped by with only few seconds to read, I couldn't "put it down" and had to finish every last word. Then I was late for my meeting. Thanks a lot ;-)

~d said...

Ok-I wrote this long as post and then effing blogger flipped and I lost it-so instead of posting I am making the rounds.
AND I swear I think that is a diff slut pix you have up...Trippin me, dude. (is it?)

Bugwit said...

Harpman: THat's a huge compliment. Sorry you were late. All you missed was "ok, where were we after last meeting?"

Tildy: Yes, that's a new picture and yes, I am effing with you!

~d said...

I HATE my effin lil avatar pix. I HATE it. ARRGGHHH!
(passionate HATRED!)

sophie said...

makes me feel so sad:(

sophie said...

awwwwwwwwwwww!

love what Winters said:)

Bugwit said...

Tildy: What was wrong with the belly button? I liked that one!

Sophie: Yeah, it was sad. Winters is always good for a gerat comment.

Samantha said...

Some people will be sluts their whole lives because that's the way they've been treated and they come to know nothing other. All they need is someone to show them a little respect, give them a chance and they'll bloom.

Bugwit said...

THanks for stopping by, Samantha. Sometimes the slut label is self-fulfilling.

JeannieGrrl said...

I cry for Janice. I know her all too well maybe not literally but she's dear to my heart. I thank you for loving her.