Thursday, September 11, 2014

One Down, Twelve to Go

The long wait is over. You no longer have to read any boring shit about my grad school application, my writing sample, or agonizing over whether I get accepted. Nope. Now you get to read horribly dull stories about me actually attending school. For those not around for all the old boring stuff, I'm at a small liberal arts college in Baltimore attending the initial two-week residency. The idea is that during this two weeks, the students live on campus, get to know their mentor, learn about the program, hear some readings by experienced writers and do some workshops. After this two weeks, we go home and communicate with our mentors by snail mail, phone, and email.

I was supposed to get in by three pm yesterday, then attend a kick-off dinner and then have drinks with the students and staff. I rolled in exhausted at nine pm and missed all that. So I'm starting off at a bit of a disadvantage.

I did meet my suite-mate however - I have a room to myself, but we share a bathroom and an entryway. It was apparent rather quickly that he is going to be an excellent suite-mate if for no other reason than he has taken the opposite strategy from me as far as creature comforts go. I brought as little as possible, and he brought everything he could think of, plus he's made several trips to various stores to pick up whatever else he could think of.

He bought two air fresheners (and gave me one), extra pillows (and gave me one), two kinds of glass cleaner, spray air freshener, laundry detergent, paper towels, real toilet paper, sunscreen and a fan. He plans to go back and get a bigger fan, a lamp and a trash can. I plan to suggest a microwave oven.

It hasn't been a great first day. I was a half hour late to a one-hour computer class and then was so late for an evening reading, given by my mentor, that I just decided to skip it. Not good.

So that's all for now. I'm busy and harried and exhausted.

16 comments:

Chicky Pea said...

Hopefully you will settle in and things will improve. Good luck.

Pink said...

I agree with chicky pea - and watch out for that self sabotage.
xx
pinks

ChickyBabe said...

Sounds like the odd couple to me! :P

Enjoy the experience!

M said...

okay I can totally see you carrying a keg to a frat party with your roomie soon. Promise me you won't ever wear one of those hats with beer cans on the side and straws going to your mouth though!

After all the initial hardships I think you're going to have an awesome time learning and writing! <3<3

Spilling Ink said...

Your suite-mate buys lots of cleaning products? I like him, too!
:-)

Bugwit said...

Chicky:

Things are much better already, thank you!

Pinks:

Self-sabotage? Hmmm...yeah. ;-)

Chickybabe:

Having a great time now. I'll talk more about it on my next post.

M:

No frat parties here, unfortunately. But the factulty and staff do have a nightly 'study hall', which is really just hanging out and drinking wine. Is this a great school or what?

Lynn:

You have so much in common with him! I'm sure you'd love him.

MarmiteToasty said...

I dont do cleaning or products LMFAO........ when the carpet gets dirty I just rip it up and buy another, when the plates are dirty I just bin them and buy new :)......

Sounds like you gonna have a great time learning..... if you can get to classes on time lol....

good luck matie

x

Bugwit said...

Howdy Marmy!:

I'll do my best! I'll also rememeber to bring my own table setting if you ever invite me to dinner!

;-)

Jenny! said...

Cleaning products...plus! You need to get your ass in gear boy and attend your classes!

Chris "Chickenwing" Quigley said...

I hope your second day is better, man. And I hope the experience is a good one for you, it must be exciting and daunting at the same time.

Bugwit said...

Jenny:

But there's two weeks of them! Eh, I'll learn it all next semester.

Sleepydog!!

Hey, dude! Yes, you have it exactly. Exciting and daunting.

~d said...

I am somwhat relaxed for the first time in over a week. I hope you enjoy yourself!

Your Friend said...

I have to say.. I am worried about your suite-mate. TWO air fresheners??? Yes.. I even took another read.. and you did say two. hmmmm.. hope he doesn't have a "gas issue" .. lol... oh lord.. I said that in my out loud voice, didn't I.

Oops.. sorry... lol

Hey.. hope it goes well, Bug. Looking forward to hearing more about what you 'get up to' there..

Bugwit said...

Hey Peanut!

You just missed the next post!

Joni said...

Yikes! You missed a reading by your mentor? No, not good.

But maybe tomorrow will be better and every day after even.

Good luck Bug!

Bugwit said...

Joni: Nope, not good at all. Every day has been better, thank you!