Thursday, September 11, 2014

70's Attire, Southern Style





Today, I answered a simple but embarrasing question from Mez about why I got a vote for 'best walk' in my eight grade yearbook and it reminded me of what we used to wear back then. If you took your fashion history from movies or the Brady Bunch, you'd think guys all wore striped polyester pants and psychedelic tee shirts with feathered hair that was longish but not too long.

Well, not where I lived. If you dressed like Greg Brady in Oklahoma, you'd get your ass kicked. No, there was a uniform of sorts, as southern guys didn't really give a fuck about individuality. Individuality would cause you to get your ass kicked. There was a long list of ass-kicking offenses.

As I was commenting on Mez's blog, I thought of the one and only photo I could remember that illustrated how the southern-fried good ole boy/hippy/bad ass dressed: the cover of the Allman Brothers' Live at Fillmore East, shown above.

Look at the picture. Note that the front row - Duane Allman, Dicky Betts and Butch Trucks - the guys who are seated - are all wearing what were known as Dingo boots. Yes, Dingo is a brand, but it was understood that Dingo referred to the style of boot, not the manufacturer. The Dingo boot was black leather, square-toed and had the signature leather straps connected by a metal ring on the side. As you can see, the Allman boys kept their boots polished, as any good rednecked hippy should.

Notice Jai Johnny Johnson on the left. He is wearing a variant of the Dingo boot, the 'jock boot'. These were worn by the non-pot-smoking guys who still wanted to seem cool. Jock boots are tan and not stigmatized with those menacing straps.

See the jeans? Dark, not faded. No tears or rips. See the hems? Not too flared. That'll get your ass kicked. Not too narrow, either. FFA's (future farmers of america) wore the straight-legged jeans, and you didn't want to look like a goat roper (our derogatory name for FFA's). Note the low-slung waistline of Greg Allman's jeans (back row, white jacket). Hip huggers were once worn by guys and there's the proof.

Notice the shirts. Not tie-died, not 'Hang Ten,' not blowsy frocks or skin-tight stretchy polyester things like David Cassidy wore. You'd get your ass kicked. Nope, simple western button-down shirts. A jean or buckskin jacket rounds out the yee-haw/toke-up ensemble.

See the hair? Has to be long in order waive your freak flag but, contradictorily, facial hair is a must in order to display your machismo. Notice that they all at least have a mustache. My eighth grade class was plagued with premature mustaches and soul patches. How pitiful those soft, fuzzy caterpillars looked. Including mine.

Yup, Bugwit went through his formative years in that getup (and that atmosphere). Had to. If I didn't, I would have gotten my ass kicked.
.............
PS: By request of Chickybabe, here's an example. This is 1979, so I had moved from Oklahoma and stopped wearing the clothes, but the long hair and cheesy mustache are still on display. Thanks to Tildy for keeping this photo around.





PPS: That is a damned good cd.

14 comments:

Lynn said...

And a damn good post, too!! Oh, Bug... I'm glad you didn't get your ass kicked!! This was a perfect photo for your story. A wonderful peak at how things were in your neck of the woods. Outstanding!!

ChickyBabe said...

We want proof! Photographic evidence!

Bugwit said...

Ref: Oh, I go my ass kicked once or twice. Even worse, it made me want to beat up on other people. I got over that, though. :-)

Chicky: I'll see what I can dig up! There are few photos of me from this era. I'm sure I can illustrate long hair and cheesy moustache, though.

BirdMadGirl said...

Hmmmm... 1979. Well, I was 6 so I don't remember toooooo much. Back then I was always dressed in jumpers made of corduroy, polyester pant suits, or vertical striped bell bottoms. In one of my fave pics of me from the 70's, I'm wearing some odd navy hard-soled shoes w/ white laces, red and black plaid pants, a red turtle neck shirt, and a white vest. I was hot. Seriously.

And dude, you so looked like my babysitter from back then. His name was Brad.... something. Maybe you were him?? ;)

Bugwit said...

Val: Wow! That is one hot outfit! Nope I'm not Brad. I did used to babysit for the City Attorney, who had a two-or-three-year-old girl. That was in maybe 1975.

He used to leave me a joint for after the girl went to bed.

Lynn said...

I'm glad you got over that, Bug.

I just had to come read this again. It rocks. I'm glad you added that picture of yourself.
:-)

Cazzie!!! said...

My brother looks like the dude in the last image NOW..he has never changed..glasses and hair and all.

Bugwit said...

Ref: It was short-lived. I haven't been in a fight since 9th grade. But if I ever see that Zolita Wiggins again, by God... :-)

Tildy: Thanks! That Susie Bright is an all natural gal! Don;t see that these days!

Cazzie! (Love the exclamation point!)
Thanks for dropping by. I seen you around.

That guy is me! Just taken this morning! ;-)

M said...

There is something about that look that is so reminiscent of a certain feel (that tough thing you describe). What do you think of the newer bands who are adopting that scruffy 70s image now (like Jet for instance)?

Anonymous said...

You looked cool, Bug.

I, on the other hand, aged 18 wearing Jim Morrison style leather pants, with long hair in an extreme side-parting looked like a bit of a dick.

All evidence has been destroyed.

Bugwit said...

M: I have heard of Jet, but not HEARD them, so I can't really say. I can say that as far as rock music goes, the 70's look only went away for a short time - durng the eighties! By 1991, The Seattle Grunge thing happened, and they all dressed pretty much like we did in high twelve years earlier.

Since then, there's always been somebody out there dresing something like that with long hair. Beck, White Stripes, Foo Fighters, whatever.

I just tried to listen to a Jet mp3, but my work pc just won't do it!

Winters: Leather pants? Excellent! THat took some guts! All I can think of when I see someone in leather pants is 'man, that person's GOT to be sweating in those!"

ChickyBabe said...

Wow...retro chic Bug!

Pink said...

oh man. i had similar glasses. Only mine were purple rims with graduated blue tints. Remember those?

Aren't you glad we're cool now?

er. ya.
xx
pinks

Bugwit said...

Pinks: Oh, yeah. Till 20 years from now and we see pictures of ourselves. :-)