Thursday, September 11, 2014

Like a Dream








Have you ever dreamt of a place that was so perfect and so happy and so beautiful that you are certain that nothing like it can really exist? A place that resonates with you so deeply that you are sure you were meant to be there? A place that gives you a complete sense of being home? I have had the 'home' dream many times.

As a child, I dreamt of a 3-d version of my own crayon art: green, grassy hills with bright sunshine warming the white clapboard house with dormer windows and a brick chimney. Incongruously, there was a fire in the fireplace despite the obvious summer sunlight. But later, after living in the desert for so long, I dreamt of cool, lush landscapes and narrow, wet sidewalks. I dreamt of water and mist, canals and bays, closely huddled houses with a bricked town square where everyone exchanged greetings as they passed. All the people knew each other and had been in each others' homes. The landscaping was meticulous and flower beds lined the fronts of houses. No cars were were anywhere to be seen. All travel was by foot, by bicycle or by boat. Backyard gardens contained complex mazes and hidden statuary. But they were open to anyone.

A shop on the corner sold pastries and coffee for a mid-afternoon break and canals divided and connected the village. For this dreamland was an island, away from the world, unchanging overtime, unaffected, uncorrupted. Perfect. Too perfect to exist.

But it does exist. Sort of.

On my last trip to the Netherlands, I went to the little-visited Zuider Zee Museum. Much of it is outdoors - homes, businesses and churches taken down from dying fishing villages all over North Holland and re-assembled on an island outside of Enkhuizen. My picture of the sailboats from a few posts back was taken on the trip out to the museum. As we motored out, I had no idea that I would be stepping into my own dream. But, as we passed the fleet of old fishing boats as they put out for the day, I began to get a familiar feeling. I knew that this was no ordinary excursion. I was entering something meaningful for me.



When we arrived and debarked, I could not believe what I was seeing. This was the place of my dreams. I felt like I already knew the layout of the town and had been in all the buildings before. But that would be impossible. This is a make-believe town, an invention. But it felt so real in my memory.

Have you ever dreamed of a perfect place? Have you ever found it?

19 comments:

~d said...

I have had dreams and had the events happen before.
I have met people in my dreams and then met them in real life.
I do not recall ever dreaming of a utopia.
I DO (often) have deja vu. And I do believe that it is some type of peak into another realm.

Kat said...

Yes. I've dreamt many sorts of premonitions. I dreamt of my hubby before I met him. I often remember dreams when I am doing everyday things. On the surface they seem not to relate but deep down I'm feeling them make a real world connection. Those are my full circle moments; reminders that I'm on the right path.

Bugwit said...

Tildy: Dreamt of someone you then met in real life? That's pretty cool and weird. :-)

Life is full of coincidences, eh? Some believe there's no such thing.

Sniper Kitty (Have I told you that first loved you for your avatar?)

Really? Met your husband in your dreams? That is so romantic! SO what is your correct path?

Maybe I should up and go to Holland!

ChickyBabe said...

Your place sounds heavenly.

I can't say that I have one, or dreamt of one. But I have a fantasy home, one that I use in some stories, fantasies etc. Perfect? Not really, but perfect for its purpose.

tuesday k said...

When seen with a heavy heart, even paradise may seem tainted... so I think when one is truly at peace with oneself, anywhere is perfect!

I didn't know you went back to blogging, hun!

Chicky Pea said...

I have not but I have also done the deja vu thing.

It's nice to have you back, Buggy!

Bugwit said...

Chickybabe: Of course, no place is perfect, but if it works for fantasies, then it must mean something to you. How strange it would be to walk into that home someday.

Kirsten: I see that you are now masquerading as yourself. ;-)

That is quite a thought, there. That is quite wise. Ever thought of teaching philosophy?

Bugwit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bugwit said...

Chickypea! You slipped in there while I was writing a comment. Nice to see you, too, legs...er...C.P.

Kat said...

buggy- aw thanks! I picked it cause it sums me up rather succinctly.
My right path? The one I'm on ;o) Seriously though. For me the right path is many, but always one of contentment and consideration. I'm always listening to myself. That's what keeps me sane particularily when I'm feeling quite the opposite. I truly believe it's when we stop listening to ourselves, that we turn off course. So, I don't think you literally have to go to Holland (unless of course you really want to!). You simply have to live it. Does that make sense?

Pink said...

hey bugsy,

I used to have a dream of a church..very dark with stained glass...not exactly home, but it was recurring

And yes, there is a vision I have of a place with red sand. It is a building and a home and it houses many people. It is a community. I haven't found it yet because I believe its my path to actually build this place in the future.

perhaps this place is a place of a past life. perhaps this place with the canals is a place of the future. whatever it is, i'm glad you enjoyed the now when you were there.
xx
pinks

Bugwit said...

KAt: You simply have to live it.

You mean I need to find my metaphorical Netherlands? There's a lot of jokes in there!

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a country is just a country.

For me the right path is many

The right path can change at any moment, and we continually make choices, do we not? :-)

Thanks, Kat! Your wisdom is appreciated.

Tania: You have certainly had a number of 'red earth' moments lately, haven't you?

You certainly seem like one who could get that dream built! I wish you good fortune and success in that dream. :-)

It's funny, but I always enjoy the now in Europe. The crappiest, rainiest, most traffic-filled, driven-off-the-map-lost days are enjoyable to me. But, the trick, as I once said to a friend, is enjoying where you ARE, not where you wish you were.

But that place in particular, and North Holland in general, really felt right. I hated to leave.

So, to paraphrase Kat, we all need to bring Holland to us!

Tits McGee said...

Dunno why exactly, but this post makes me think of the Talking Heads' Naive Melody:

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me round
I feel numb
Born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground
Head in the sky
It's ok I know nothing's wrong Nothing

Hi oh I got plenty of time
Hi oh you got light in your eyes
And you're standing here beside me
I note the passing of time
Never for money
Always for love
Cover up and say goodnight
Say goodnight

Home is where I want to be
But I guess I'm already there
I come home
She's lifted up her wings
I guess that this must be the place
I can't tell one from another
Did I find you, or you find me?
There was a time
Before we were born
If someone asks, this where I'll be Where I'll be

Hi oh we drift in and out
Hi oh sing into my mouth
Out of all those kinds of people
You got a face with a view
I'm just an animal
Looking for a home and
Share the same space
For a minute or two
And you love me till my heart stops
Love me till I'm dead
Eyes that light up, eyes look through you
Cover up the blank spots
Hit me on the head

Hope all's well, Bug.

Bugwit said...

Tits: Nice sone. I love the Talking Heads. Everything is pretty good, actually. Thank you for asking!

M said...

My perfect place is more about the feeling rather than the scenery. It's that feeling of a constant embrace.

I agree with you on the Netherlands. It's a gorgeous country - Amsterdam, with it's quirky architecture immediately made me feel like I was home. Paris made me feel like I was in one of my own fantasies. Melbourne..sometimes when I'm in Melbourne it feels..perfect too.

Chicky Pea said...

Buggy - I'm like that, slipping in when you aren't looking. I promise to be quiet and behave. Carry on.

Bugwit said...

M: Yes, I love Amsterdam, but I've been there four or five times now. Last time I wanted to get out into the country and just went up to Vollendam for a few days. It was a big change. Beautiful and relaxing.

Chickpea: I don't think you can keep that promise! ;-)

Kat said...

Well. Now that you put it that way, sounds like you may be in for a few romantic evenings. ;o)

Bugwit said...

KAt: You mean by looking for metaphorical Netherlands? ;-)