Friday, September 12, 2014

New House

“Well, what do you think?” my dad asked as we pulled up to a big, white Spanish-style two-story house. He beamed with pride at the new home he’d found for us.

I ignored him and appealed directly to the only sane person in the family. “Mom, we can’t live here! This place is right in the middle of the worst part of Wentzville!”

“What’s wrong with it? It’s the biggest house in town,” Mom said.

“What’s wrong with it? Look! The main street goes right by the front yard! There’s railroad tracks right behind it. There’s a veterinary clinic next door and if the water tower falls, it’ll squash us!”

“Oh, yeah! I talked to the owner of the slaughterhouse across the street,” Dad interrupted, “and he said that they need part-time help over there. He said to send you over.”

“Slaughterhouse? There’s a slaughterhouse? I don’t want to live by a slaughterhouse, and I sure as hell don’t want to work there!”

“Language!” Dad said in his first-warning voice.

The only other houses on this side of the tracks belonged to Wentzville’s poorest citizens. We’d just been in Missouri for a few months and I was still trying to make friends and fit in at high school. So far, my friends all came from the class-conscious families at the ritzy development of Lake St. Louis. This house was a social disaster in the making.

My parents always rented off-beat places. The condo we were leaving was more of a furnished weekend lake retreat than a serious place to live. The owners had decorated it with beach furniture and all the African ceremonial masks they had picked up on safari. The masks scared the dog and drew doubtful looks from my friends.

“Why can’t we just stay in the condo?” I whined. “We were doing just fine there.”

“We’ve been over this. We told you that place was temporary. All the town employees have to live within city limits,” Mom answered, referring to dad’s job as city manager. “Besides, I seem to remember someone complaining about hating the last place because of all the masks."

“This might be the oldest building in town,” my dad said, but that idea didn’t sweeten the deal for me. “The railroad superintendent lived there and the town just grew up around it.”

“The shanty town, you mean.” I sulked all the way through the tour, wondering how I was going to deal with being the only white kid in a black neighborhood.

Mom eagerly showed me to my huge bedroom and the beautiful old armoire that came with it. I was unmoved. I remarked that the house must have been built before closets were invented.

My parents hoped that I would grow to love the place as much as they did, but things only grew worse in my eyes. Early Saturday mornings, truckloads of livestock lined up at the slaughterhouse, and the squealing woke me up. As soon as they killed the first pig, the rest of them screamed in terror, smelling death and sensing that their own end was near.

Several times per day, the railroad employees switched railcars right behind the house. The smell of diesel exhaust drifted over and when the containers crashed into each other, the sound was deafening. On kill days at the slaughterhouse, the smell of barnyard and blood kept us inside.

In those quiet moments when no trains chugged by and no animals were being slaughtered, we sat on the back balcony and looked at the middle class neighborhood across the tracks. I saw house after house of normal lives, distinguished only by paint color and brand of car in the driveway. It looked like heaven.

“You don’t want to live there,” my dad assured me, “that area is boring.”

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice piece piece, Bug.

Though I never moved house as a kid, I can imagine how much it represents. I was more in the "permanent suburban fixture - he's a prick" category.

So, how long did you stay there, in that house? Could you withstand the stench of the abbatoir opposite?

Bugwit said...

Winters: I moved every three years like clockwork as a kid. I was in that house for a year or so before I went off to college.

I could only smell it on kill days. The screaming pigs was the worst part. It was a nice house, except for that slaughterhouse and the rail yard, but I had a hard time seeing that.

I learned the word 'abbatoir' from Monty Python. Fuck you to all who claimed the Pythin didn't belong on public educational tv!

Tits McGee said...

Damn.

Good stuff. I like your honesty.

Bugwit said...

Tits: I was definitely a self-centered teenager.

I Agonized over the black neighborhood part of it. I was afraid people would misinterpret it. Hopefully people I realized that it's not about hate, it's about being out of my comfort zone and being shallow and being embarrassed before shallow friends.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about from my nieghbors. It was the friends that I should have avoided.

~d said...

I am reading this and applying it to my own life, right?
RIGHT NOW-this is the longest I have ever lived in one place EVER-in my life. I have been here since May 2003.
I would have this house packed and be ready to move by MONDAY if I got the go-ahead.
Funny, but my kids will prob grow up...HERE.(sic)
Canoe.
~d heart Bugwit

sophie said...

Sharp "lonely" piece Bugwit. This affected me on so many levels.
Your despair with that little
wry wit of observation -
-imagining how difficult it must
have been for the parents to
be enthusiastic to you with that row of "normal" houses across the way
-my sense that this might shape bugwit to be the compassionate observor of life he is today -
thinking to myself that those
"normal" houses might not
be so inspiring at all...

splendid piece -
and reminded me as well of
going to a Convent in England
after living in Canada -
and feeling the same way on so
many levels.

have a nice "freakend"
(Christopher's word for
weekend - i am partial to it)

Bugwit said...

Tildy: I feel ya! I hated moving every three years, but I still itch to go. I keep threatening Mrs. Wit with packing and leaving for Europe. She hates it when I do that.

Where do you want to go (besides camping)?

Sophie: Wow, thanks! That makes me very happy to hear.

Convent? Have you written about this?

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Great peek into your teenhood. Colorful and personal - thanks. It's stories like this one that make blogging such a fabulous medium.

Bugwit said...

Harpman" Wow! It's nice to know that I singlehandedly justify the existance of the blogoshpere! ;-)

Thank you.

Erin O'Brien said...

I love the slaughterhouse. Love it. Always thought anyone who eats meat ought to know a bit more about slaughterhouses.

We are so sanitized these days, with our food vacuum- packed and pasturized, most never hear the squealing livestock.

Thanks, Bug.

Bugwit said...

Erin: I did actually end up working there, but only one day, because I was a lousy employee. They had a meat counter up front - like a butcher shop - and I helped up there. I also parted a few (already dead) chickens with a band saw. I got the tour of the whole gruesome place, though.

I had a friend from the neighborhood, Tyree, who worked on kill days. After the aniaml had been stunned and hung on hooks from their hind legs, he made the first incision and emptied the intestine into a big vat.

Amazingly, it didn't dampen his enthusiasm for meat one bit.

Bugwit said...

Gretchen: Sorry I got you out of order there!

Truth is that I grew up on all sides of the tracks.

Little known fact: Chuck Berry has lived in Wentzville since the 70's. The movie "Hail! Hail! Rock n' Roll!" Was largely filmed at his place just outside town. George Thorogood wrote a song " back to Wentzville" that sung from Berry's point of view.

Berry bought the best restaurant in town - the Southern Air - but later sold it after 59 women sued him for making videos of them while they used the restroom.

Bugwit said...

Gretchen:

Every town has it's dirty little secrets!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Hey Bug - thought you and your friends might be interested in this. Check out all the bloggers participating in the 2996 project this weekend
here
. My own tribute can be found here. Just wanted to share that because I think it's a pretty cool thing. Thanks.

missy said...

I have moved so many times after leaving my parents' home at age 16 that I get a bit of an itch to move again after a few years.

Bugwit said...

Harp Man: You did a wonderful job of paying tribute to Denease Conley. I urge everyone to go and read his piece.

Bugwit said...

Missy: I'm feeling it right now.

missy said...

bugwit: I know where you can move! ;-)

Bugwit said...

Missy: If you know someplace where an American can get work...

~d said...

Gosh, Bug. I forgot what I was going to say. I have some online reading to do. Catch you soon.

missy said...

bugwit: There's always work for an intelligent, gifted American writer ;-)

Or you can always vacuum my house. It's work. But I don't pay cash.

Bugwit said...

Missy: If I find a someone like that I'll send him right over!

I guess I'll have to vacuum. You can pay me under the table. ;-)

missy said...

I guess if I have to pay you under the table, I would have to....

Bugwit said...

Yes, continue? ;-)

missy said...

[fill in the blanks]

;-)

~d said...

(I like Missy...she is discreet and sexy)

Bugwit said...

Yow! Erecting as we speak.